Dorohedoro

I finished the first season of the Netflix Dorohedoro. FOREWARNING I listen to it in Spanish because i like to practice my Spanish with anime. So I may not have completely understood all the plot points.

 but I love this anime. I initially heard of it through The Artesian Geek, who I also love and you should check her out. I love Dorohedoro's magic system. I love how every magician has dust pipes inside them and a little devil person. I love how the story digs itself into its own goriness, revels in it. I love all the mushrooms, rot and decay. The life and death of it, how death is a permeable boundary. You're never quite sure when something is dead or how it came alive. What a wonderful sense of chaos this creates, I imagine that's what it would feel like to live in a world of real magic. Pure chaos. The plot is a bit sparse and I read a critique that felt the plotting was bad, but I kinda like it. I like it when authors clearly want to idle around in their worlds for a bit, expose to us all the small humanizing details of a story. And I think there is enough of a plot in that caiman is looking for his head. Pretty straightforward. I also love the art style. I love how Hayashida draws bulky and busty people, unlike a lot of animse where everyone is waif thin. The women get to have muscle too. It reminds me of what Hiromu Arakawa said, you should have meat on your characters. and the bustiness has plot to it as well, because in the flashbacks we get really young and thin Shin images, so we see how he filled out over the years. It all just helps to illustrate how powerful Shin and Noi are. Noi is probably my favorite character at the moment. Maybe its the not quite deceased gym rat in me. 


Anway. I'll try and read on in the manga from wherever the anime left off. I estimate I'm about at book six or seven?


I'm in a phase with my writing where I think " wouldn't it be amazing to write a book? something really fantastic that people love?" and Dorohedoro falls in that something fantastic category. So I admit being jealous of Hayashida. 



Comments

Popular Posts