The Power of Myth - Joseph Campbell

 When I was in the clinic I had this book on my nightstand and a nurse came in to take my vitals.


"that book - its good stuff" he said. 


I agree with him generally, this was a good read. Campbell has an extensive and exhilarating knowledge of mythology and religion and it's fun to see how he analyzes both together. he's a scholar who makes me think there might be some use to academia after all, if your studying can produce something beautiful like this book. 


however, I think Campbell glorifies the U.S a bit much for my taste. I didn't love how he analyzes the crest on the dollar bill and stuff, he sounded a bit like a fanboy. I also find a lot of it to be repetitive. in the end it feels like him just talking about oneness and transcendence. It feels like he is splitting hairs, and I might argue this is the whole point of an academic, to be so precise in your analysis you split hairs, but I think you have to be exact and measured with it. 


but yes, I would recommend it. I want to read his other book, The Hero with a Thousand Faces. 

Comments

Popular Posts